Stags upset Illingworth in Fee Cup

Illingworth 16

Stainland Stags 22

Stainland upset the odds with a passionate and determined display against an out-of-sorts Illingworth side in the Halifax Fee Cup.

The home men started strongly and it took a last ditch tackle to stop winger Leigh King grounding the ball.

However, Stags took the lead on 20 minutes when a kick through on the last tackle eluded the defence and Jack Fairbank touched down under the posts. Influential stand off Phil Taylor added the conversion.

Ten minutes later it was 12-0 as Stainland broke from their own half, Tom Williams crossing close enough to the posts for Taylor to again add the extras.

Andrew Laheney cut the lead, doing well to force the ball down from close range following good set up work from Luke Sutcliffe and Luke Sandland.

Winger Mark Patrice and King might have scored for the hosts early in the second half but Stainland gained a penalty following a fracas which saw Andrew McElroy sin binned and Paul Davies crossed in the left hand corner.

With second row pairing Fairbank and Williams increasingly dominant it was no surprise when Taylor extended the lead, his kick making it 22-4.

Illingworth hit back. Jack Bradbury had a try ruled out for a forward pass but King scored in the corner after good passing from McElroy and Laheney.

Laheney backed up second rower Ash Ainley to go over for his second and Kieran Nicholson just failed to touch down.

With time running out King went over for his second, but it wasn’t enough to deny Stainland a deserved victory.

Wyke A 20

Illingworth A 24

Illingworth’s second string gained an impressive win on the road.

Trailing 12-0, Gareth Halliday led his side well from the front, and was backed up with strong performances from Alex McFadden, Chris Keoghan and James Green.

The visitors’ points came from three tries by full-back Craig Heptonstall, one from Dom Li and four conversions by Liam Stephenson.

Greetland AR 50

Selby 4

Selby visited Greetland for the second weekend running, with high hopes of a repeat win.

However, Greetland’s youthful side dominated from the early exchanges with returning fullback Chris Robinson scoring four tries and taking the man of the match award.

Greetland started up the hill, big hitting from forwards Nick Bannister and Gaz Smith kept the visitors at bay.

After 10 minutes, stand in hooker Glynn Gill split Selby down the middle, only to be halted by a high tackle. From the penalty Gareth Walker crept in on the short side.

Alan Hindle pounced on a loose ball to double Greetland’s tally and an attack from deep paved the way for loose forward Andrew Wickings to send Ian Neville through a hole for a 16 point lead.

Greetland’s half was finished in style with a double from Robinson, making it 28-0.

The home side continued where they had left off, Robinson completing his hat-trick .

Selby scored after three back to back sets, but Craig Webster took a great ball to split the line and Craig Moore chased a Hindle chip which bounced perfectly for him.

The game was rounded off in style as Robinson’s footwork took him past defenders and he outpaced the fullback.