Siddal march on after derby victory

Siddal kept their 100 per cent record intact after another victory over local rivals Elland.

Siddal showed their intent as early as the third minute when impressive fullback Scott Caley broke clear from the halfway line, rounding Elland full back Alex Milburn to touch down under the posts. Gareth Blackburn landed the first of his eight goals.

Siddal kept the ball alive with scrum half Steve Illingworth prominent in the next try when he offloaded to youngster Tom Shaw, who sent Blackburn racing down the touchline. Blackburn added the extras, to give the home side a 12-0 lead after 10 minutes.

Caley was proving the danger man for Siddal and after another break down the middle he offloaded to captain Nick Smith who darted over, Blackburn again converting.

Elland replied with an astute kick from Phil Taylor which was followed by centre Steve Brocklehurst to touch down on 25 minutes. Taylor added the conversion to narrow the score to 18-6.

Siddal soon extended the lead after good work from Macauley Higgins, Gareth English and Luke Simeunovich which set up the platform for Caley to follow up his own kick through to touch down. Blackburn made it 24-6 with his conversion on the 30 minute mark.

Blackburn crossed the whitewash for the second time after Siddal moved the ball out with Gareth Schofield, Emerson Newburn and George Thorpe prominent.

Blackburn converted to increase the lead to 30-6.

Stand off Shaun Garrod then scored the last try of the half after spotting a gap in the Elland defence to race under the posts, Blackburn converting to make it 36-6 at the interval.

Elland started the second period enthusiastically by keeping the ball moving, resulting in stand off Tom Hall crossing for a try under the posts. Taylor converted to make it 36-12 on 42 minutes.

Elland continued to try and break the solid Siddal line with James Fairbank, John Henry Howarth and Karl Slater running hard.

However, five minutes later Illingworth threw out a superb long ball for Danny Williams to race on to and cross over the try line.

Williams was on the scoresheet again after powering his way through the Elland defence for a try between the posts. Blackburn converted to increase Siddal’s lead to 46-12.

On 68 minutes Elland attacked the Siddal line but a loose ball was gathered by winger Newburn who sprinted the full length of the field for a fine individual score.

Then, with four minutes remaining, Chris Brooke was held short of the line. The ball was quickly moved out for Garrod to capitalise with a try.

Blackburn took his total points for the afternoon to 24 with another conversion.