This soup has a fantastic colour and is packed with vitamins. Plus it is creamy but low fat as it uses skimmed milk. Serve with a chunk of crusty bread.
1 medium onion - peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove - peeled and crushed
1 large potato - peeled and diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 vegetable stock cube or 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon (reduced salt, if possible)
1 large head of broccoli - broken into florets
1 bunch fresh basil - torn into pieces
150 - 300ml skimmed milk
ground black pepper
saucepan and lid
measuring jug blender
How to make it
1. Fry the onion and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes then add the chopped potato and fry for a further 5 minutes, stirring to prevent browning.
2. Make up the vegetable stock with 600ml boiling water.
3. Add the vegetable stock and the broccoli florets. Bring back to the boil and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes until the potato and broccoli are tender.
4. Add a bunch of torn basil and 150ml milk. Ladle the soup into the blender goblet. Whizz until smooth. If necessary, thin it down with milk. Season the soup with black pepper, serve piping hot.
This recipe contains:
- cereals containing gluten