Work starts on £10m Calderdale housing development

Victoria Meadows, off Halifax Road, will  consist of 24, three and four bedroom properties, some with views over the River Ryburn.

Sunday, 6th December 2020, 7:00 pm

The three-story houses are being built by Redwaters based in Astley, Greater Manchester. It will be Redwaters third development in the village.

Three affordable houses, for first time buyers, are included in the first phase of Victoria Meadows, which will be complete towards the end of 2021.

The houses, built to the side of the former Victoria Mill, are being named after Queen Victoria’s children, Leopold, Beatrice. Bertie, Alfred, Alice, Arthur and Helena.

Sign up to our daily Halifax Courier Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The £10m planned housing development in Ripponden

Redwaters director, Sean McCaul, believes there will be plenty of interest in Victoria Meadows. “It’s all about location, location, location and this one has everything going for it. A country setting with fabulous views but within walking distance of so many amenities.

"House prices in Calderdale, have been climbing steadily over recent years which make these houses a great investment. “

Mr McCaul says the houses have been designed for modern living and suit everyone’s needs from those looking to buy their first home, growing families needing more space, to couples or individuals looking to downsize.

Redwaters first development in Ripponden was back in 2014. Riverside Court, which is gated, consists of nine houses.

Four years later the company built 14 houses and three apartments at Ripponden Vale. The development, at Mill Fold, is on the site of a former garage and office block.

Victoria Mill, was owned and built by the Ripponden and District Spinning Company, which dates back to 1861. It was sold in 1864 to George Whiteley and was then owned by brothers, Joseph and Whiteley Lawton before closing in 1899.

It was empty for a number of years before cotton doublers J. Kaye and Co bought it. They in turn sold it to another cotton company, Meadowcroft Hampson and Co. It stayed in their ownership until its closure in 1982, when it was sold to John Laithwaite Associates.

The business which originally rented and serviced washing machines, demolished most of the old mill and used some of the stone to built its own HQ.