Medicals’ successful Copley operation

Visitors Sheffield Medicals were a team on a mission at Copley yesterday and earned another season in Yorkshire Two with a 34-22 win over Old Rishworthians.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 19th April 2015, 11:42 am
Old Rish vs Sheffield Medics
Anthony Shoesmith
Old Rish vs Sheffield Medics Anthony Shoesmith

The South Yorkshire side needed a bonus point win and played their hearts out on a sunny but breezy day, scoring six tries when four would have sufficed.

Rishworthians were saying farewell to player coach Damian Ball, who has steered the team out of Yorkshire Three to seventh in Yorkshire two with a 57 per cent win rate in three seasons.

The hosts kicked off into the strong easterly wind, but the ball did not go 10 metres. At the scrum Jack Smart took the first of six strikes against the head, the one positive area for the home side.

Sign up to our daily Halifax Courier Today newsletter

Medicals kicked, using the wind to their advantage and after 11 minutes their left winger Adler scored the first of his two tries.

Sustained pressure by the pack provided Rishworthians with their first chance of points, Joe Billing kicking a penalty.

Adler scored his second following a switch move in the centre and Barnard converted.

Following another scrum against the head, Andy Shickell and Gary Morris combined for Billing to score an unconverted try in the corner.

At half time it was 12-8 to Medicals and it looked as if they hadn’t scored enough points with the help of the wind.

However, Medicals had other ideas and ran the ball back at every opportunity. This led to an unconverted try in the corner by Shipman, although he appeared to have put a foot in touch.

Shickell was stopped whenever he tried to run from the back of the scrum and fine handling by the visitors led to Foster running 20 metres to score.

The next try was a classic as Finlay ended a bout of passing which made you realise that rugby is an attractive game when played in the right spirit. Lecter converted and at 29-8 Medics were running away with the game.

Rishworthians responded when Rhys Town ran across the field and linked up with Taniela Bakoso, Ball made a break and handed on to James Clarke who dived over near the posts for a try which Billing converted.

The home team were pressing and attacked down the blind side. Gary Morris threw a pass to Town but Hyde intercepted and ran 50 metres to score in the corner. The conversion was missed.

Rishworthians hit back and a good lineout take by Fraser Swarbrooke led to James Clarke scoring under the posts. Billing converted.

The Copley club’s seconds won at Old Otliensians to win the Aire Wharfe West League.