23 things you can no longer do in Halifax town centre
Halifax as a town has changed and evolved over the years and with this we have had to say goodbye to a number of shops, nightclubs and local landmarks. Here are 23 things you can no longer do in Halifax.
For more trips down memory lane with our nostalgic picture galleries, click here to see iconic nightclubs from Halifax's past, here to see the town centre shops we've lost over the years and click here to see photos from a night out back in 2003.
It was a sad day in Halifax back in 2009 when the much-loved shop on Market Street closed its doors when the company went into administration. No more popping in for a pic n mix.
Halifax Zoo and Amusement Park, which was located in Exley, caused a fair bit of drama during the time it was open between 1909 and 1916. Visitors could see elephants, zebras, lions and more.
Opening in 1938, the ABC Cinema at Ward's End in the town centre welcomed crowds of Halifax residents through its doors to watch the latest films up until it closed in 2002. The building is now a nightclub.
From 1949 until 1985, visitors could flock to The Shay Stadium and watch the Halifax Dukes on the Speedway track. The team was previously at Thrum Hall but moved to The Shay until financial disagreements meant they had to leave.
Earlier this year the Beech Hill tower blocks were demolished after being stood empty for ten years. Once visible from across Halifax, they can no longer be spotted on the town's skyline.
Before it closed down back in 2013, Halifax residents could pay a visit to Blockbuster Video and rent a film. The chain, which had 264 stores across the country, closed after going into administration.
Known by a number of names, including Salt and Pepper and Washer and Boiler, the cooling towers from the old Halifax Power Station stood proudly on Lower Cross Street from the 1930s until 1974.
The Tramshed and Zoo Bars were side-by-side nightclubs on Lord Street featuring rock, emo, indie, punk and ska music. The venues closed after a police raid and the buildings have since been demolished.
Before Halifax Bus Station was in its current location it could be found just off St James Road. It was built in the 1950s and was replaced by the present bus station, between Northgate and Winding Road, in 1989.
The Early Learning Centre was an icon of the high street in Halifax for many years before it closed a few years ago and merged with Mothercare, which has also since moved out of the town. The unit is now The Works.
As well as the ABC Cinema, Halifax also had an Odeon. Now the location of Mecca Bingo, the cinema opened in 1938 and closed in 1975, the last films being Confessions of a Pop Performer and Police Story.
It may have only been temporary but back in 1963, during an extremely cold winter, the Shay stadium and Halifax Town football club made history by becoming the first Football League club to open the Shay pitch to ice skating.
The discount supermarket was demolished back in 2008 to make way for what we now know as Broad Street Plaza. Netto itself was located in an old 1960s bowling alley.
The multi storey car park at Cow Green was closed in 2013 due to severe structural deterioration and was demolished in 2016. You can still park there though as the land is still a pay and display car park.
The Duke of Wellington's Regiment was based at Wellesley Barracks, Highroad Well, Halifax, for 82 years. The barracks were built in 1872 and part of it is now the home of The Halifax Academy.
The Chinese Buffet opened at Broad Street Plaza back in 2013 and served all you could eat to visitors. The eatery closed back at the start of 2018 and the space is set to become a dentists.
North Bridge railway station served on the Halifax and Ovenden Junction Railway from 1880 to 1974. The station closed to passengers in 1955 and the location is now North Bridge Leisure Centre and car park.
Back in the 19th century Crossley's Carpets at Dean Clough was one of the world's largest carpet factories at half a mile long with 1,250,000 square feet of floorspace. Some buildings were demolished and many are now office space.
Now a Heron Foods, this building on Market Street used to house JJB Sports. Selling a variety of sporting equipment and clothing, the brand was bought by Sports Direct in 2012.
Although it now stands proudly on the side of the Old Fire Station at Dean Clough, for many years the Courier clock was associated with the newspaper's offices on King Cross Street.
After the Piece Hall's amazing restoration a few years ago, a few people came out to say they were disappointed that the cobbles had gone. The cobbles weren't as historic as some thought though, as they were laid in the 1970s.
Previously known as WCs as the premises was once a public toilet, Bar 15 was located in front of Bull Green House, accessed by steps down under the street.
This iconic pub was a familiar sight to those driving into town from Salterhebble. Sadly the 220-year-old venue off Church Street was demolished in 2016 with plans for it to be turned into a car park for a new shopping centre.